Shalise's 100% Whole Wheat Bread
My friend Shalise is a very healthy person. She runs marathons and eats healthy as can be. She motivates me to eat better. My mom taught me well too, she cooked very healthy and we ate very healthy growing up. I didn't know any different. Now having children, it's not as easy but hey, at least I'm trying right? I've eaten Shalise's bread and it was awesome, she even colored it one time for the OSU vs BYU game last year. My other friend DeAnne, highlighted Shalise's recipe on her blog, so I followed the recipe from there (Thanks DeAnne). With Shalise's permission, I'm able to share it with you too!
Ingredients:
3 cups plus 6 Tbsp hot tap water (you may use only 3 extra tablespoons if you use half white, half wheat)
1 1/2 Tbsp yeast
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
9 cups wheat flour (may use half white, half wheat)
*3 tbsp flax meal/10 grain mix (this is a mix of ground flax meal and 10 grain blend cereal from the bulk section at WinCo. The ratio is: 1/3 flax meal to 2/3 10-grain cereal)
3 tbsp gluten flour (WinCo bulk--don't need to use if doing half white, half wheat--this is to help the whole wheat rise and give a more chewy consistency)
*I bought flax seed and ground it because it was cheaper than buying the "meal." I made my mix and freeze it to keep it fresh. Remember you only need 3 tbsp per recipe so you can start out by buying 1/3 cup flax meal and 2/3 cup 10 grain blend cereal.
Directions:
This is made in a normal size Kitchen Aid. Makes 3 loaves.
Pour your hot water into the mixing bowl. Sprinkle the yeast over the water, so it doesn't clump. Then add your brown sugar and salt. Let it sit until it looks nice and foamy. One it's foamy, then add the oil, wheat flour, flax/10-grain, and gluten flour. Put your hook attachment on and start mixing on the first speed. Once it starts mixing all together, you a spatula to keep the dough from coming up over the top of the hook. Once it looks well blended, dump the dough out onto your floured counter. You may add a slight amount of flour if you feel it is too sticky. Knead for a few minutes. Shape into a long round tube. Cut into 3 equal parts. Knead each portion separately a few more minutes and form into long tube with a smooth top-the length of your bread pan.
Place each portion into greased bread pans. Place all 3 pans in the oven (the oven is NOT on at this point), then boil a bowl of water in the microwave and place it into the oven with your bread (on bottom rack). This will help the dough rise as well as keep it moist. I set the timer for 1 hour and it rose perfectly. Make sure to not over rise dough. Let it rise until the dough is about the level with the top of the pan. Now take your pans out of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. (Shalise uses a convection oven and bakes hers at 325 degrees). Bake bread for 30 minutes. (I left the bowl of water in the oven while they baked).
I've tried this recipe twice, the first time it turned out great and the kids loved it but the second time I made it, it was perfect! The important thing is to make sure the dough is not too dry or too sticky. Today, when I made it, it was so moist and fluffy. This bread is easy and fast to make (once you buy all the ingredients). It's really worth it to make. Shalise makes about 18 loaves at a time! She freezes it too and she said it still tastes great after she thaws them.
Ingredients:
3 cups plus 6 Tbsp hot tap water (you may use only 3 extra tablespoons if you use half white, half wheat)
1 1/2 Tbsp yeast
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
9 cups wheat flour (may use half white, half wheat)
*3 tbsp flax meal/10 grain mix (this is a mix of ground flax meal and 10 grain blend cereal from the bulk section at WinCo. The ratio is: 1/3 flax meal to 2/3 10-grain cereal)
3 tbsp gluten flour (WinCo bulk--don't need to use if doing half white, half wheat--this is to help the whole wheat rise and give a more chewy consistency)
*I bought flax seed and ground it because it was cheaper than buying the "meal." I made my mix and freeze it to keep it fresh. Remember you only need 3 tbsp per recipe so you can start out by buying 1/3 cup flax meal and 2/3 cup 10 grain blend cereal.
Directions:
This is made in a normal size Kitchen Aid. Makes 3 loaves.
Pour your hot water into the mixing bowl. Sprinkle the yeast over the water, so it doesn't clump. Then add your brown sugar and salt. Let it sit until it looks nice and foamy. One it's foamy, then add the oil, wheat flour, flax/10-grain, and gluten flour. Put your hook attachment on and start mixing on the first speed. Once it starts mixing all together, you a spatula to keep the dough from coming up over the top of the hook. Once it looks well blended, dump the dough out onto your floured counter. You may add a slight amount of flour if you feel it is too sticky. Knead for a few minutes. Shape into a long round tube. Cut into 3 equal parts. Knead each portion separately a few more minutes and form into long tube with a smooth top-the length of your bread pan.
Place each portion into greased bread pans. Place all 3 pans in the oven (the oven is NOT on at this point), then boil a bowl of water in the microwave and place it into the oven with your bread (on bottom rack). This will help the dough rise as well as keep it moist. I set the timer for 1 hour and it rose perfectly. Make sure to not over rise dough. Let it rise until the dough is about the level with the top of the pan. Now take your pans out of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. (Shalise uses a convection oven and bakes hers at 325 degrees). Bake bread for 30 minutes. (I left the bowl of water in the oven while they baked).
I've tried this recipe twice, the first time it turned out great and the kids loved it but the second time I made it, it was perfect! The important thing is to make sure the dough is not too dry or too sticky. Today, when I made it, it was so moist and fluffy. This bread is easy and fast to make (once you buy all the ingredients). It's really worth it to make. Shalise makes about 18 loaves at a time! She freezes it too and she said it still tastes great after she thaws them.

Comments
Post a Comment