California Rolls

So I am still trying to understand how to post pictures and be able to write with a nice flow but haven't figured it out yet. Anyway, I also made California Rolls for our craft night. My grandma Camp is from Tokyo, Japan and moved to the United States years ago. She is an awesome cook and taught me how to make them.

The type of seaweed you use (nori strips)
The finished product is good dipped in soy sauce and small amount of wasabi. Pickled ginger is also good but I didn't have it on hand.














(Empty nori bag-above)

California Rolls
--Cooked sticky/Japanese Rice (I cook about 5 cups in rice cooker or more because we can eat leftover rice for another meal or make fried rice out of it)
--Imitation crab meat (mixed with about tbsp mayo)
--Cucumbers-peeled and sliced into thin strips
--Avocado-sliced into strips
--Black sesame seeds (optional)
--Nori strips (seaweed)
--Bamboo sushi roller (wrapped in large zip lock bag) (this is for easier cleaning and the rice doesn't stick as bad).

First I take the rice and put it in a bowl to cool. I put a little rice vinegar, salt, and sugar and mix. It adds a little flavor to rice. Place one strip of nori on sushi roller. Add a layer of rice to cover nori. Sprinkle sesame seed over top of rice. Flip over nori so rice is facing down unto bamboo roller and nori is face up. About 2 inches from bottom of nori put a horizontal strip of cucumber, avocado, and imitation crab. Wrap nori over cucumber, avocado, and imitation crab with bamboo roller to help guide. Continue to roll into a long roll (like cinnamon rolls). Squeeze roll (that will be wrapped with bamboo) firmly so that the rice and roll stay together. Unwrap from roller and set a side. I like to continue to make more while the others set. After sitting for a few minutes dip a sharp knife into water and cut roll into sushi slices. Then serve with soy sauce, wasabi, and/or pickled ginger.

If I get a chance next time I make these, I will post a picture of each step of the process.






You can also use cooked egg, carrot, and canned tuna in middle.

Comments

  1. Peggy I think your blog idea is great! To answer your question about my girls clothes... everywhere!! I'm really not kidding i go to Childrens Place, Macy's, JC Penny, online stores, Khols, Justice, Ross, TJ Max, Burlington Coat Factory, oh man this list could on forever. I just love to shop and i will buy anything anywhere that's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you've picked some good places because you dress your girls so cute! I really love the sweater dresses too. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy! This is Jen from Nursing schools. Your California rolls look like heaven. And what a cute blog idea. I'm off to add you to my reader list, so I can droll over your next creative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jen, thanks, they are yummy! How are you doing? You have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts