Sweet Lime Chili Chicken Enchiladas



I have recently got into couponing from a friend at work.  I thought I would give it a try.  So that's why I haven't done too many posts because I am trying to get a hand of the couponing thing.  It's fun but I'm not that good at it.  Just today I forgot to give the cash register lady 3 coupons!  Now I have to go back and get my money eventually (update: I did get my coupon money back but today I realized I forgot to give her 2 others!).  So anyway, I ran across this recipe while doing some couponing from the Krazy Coupon Lady blog and she posted this recipe so I thought I would give it a try.  So thanks to the Krazy Coupon Lady I'm better at couponing and cooking:).   I give photo credit to mu hubby because they were still cooking when I had to go to work. 

Ingredients: 
4 Chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 12-15 oz. bottle salsa verde (I used 2- 7 oz cans and it was cheaper this way around 60 cents a can)
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup lime juice (about the juice of 1 large lime-I also added the zest of 1/2 lime)
1 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup heavy whipping cream
8-10 flour tortillas
Shredded monterey jack cheese

Directions: 
In a large bowl; whisk together honey, lime juice, chili powder, garlic powder and salt.  Add shredded chicken to the lime mixture.  Let sit 10 minutes.
In a 9×13 pan pour 3/4 of the salsa verde bottle (or 1 can) to cover the bottom of the pan.  Set aside the remainder sauce.
Take a flour tortilla and fill with a couple tablespoons of  chicken and cheese.  Roll up and place seam side down in to the salsa verde pan.  Repeat process until all tortillas are filled.  After you have removed all of the chicken, there will be remaining lime sauce in the bowl.  Add the remaining salsa verde and heavy whipping cream to the lime sauce and mix.  Pour mixture over the filled enchilada and cover with remaining cheese.  Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Remove foil and bake another 10-15 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly.

P.S.  These were very good!  Not the typical enchilada but a great change up.  They were a little spicy for the kids, although they ate them just fine.  So you may want to cut the chili powder or salsa down.  Next time I'd use fresh lime juice instead of juice in bottle shaped like a lime and maybe grate some lime zest in also.  I want to make these again soon!


Comments

  1. Those look great! I will have to try them in my next rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole pan didn't last long!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts