Mississippi Mud Brownies
Well the first thing that comes to mind when I think of these brownies is they are "the bomb." I know it's probably old school but seriously, they are the bomb!:) We had the chance to see our friends Spencer and Megan Goo and their family a couple weeks ago in Utah. They had a BBQ/Pool Party and Megan made these delicious brownies. So of course I had to get the recipe. I decided to make them for Fourth of July at my dad's house for our own BBQ/Pool Party. They turned out just as good and everyone loved them, maybe even too much :). They are definitely going to be a family favorite in our house! They make a huge batch, plenty for a potluck, church activity, or party. I would half the recipe if it's just 1 family but you could always freeze the other half too-if they make it that far.
You can make the brownies by themselves, with frosting, or as Mississippi mud (all three).
![]()
Directions:
Beat 1lb (4 cubes) butter (not softened)
Slowly add:
4 cups sugar
Add:
7 large eggs
4 tsp vanilla
7/8 cup cocoa
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 cups nuts, chopped (optional)
Mix and pour into a well-greased jellyroll pan (cookie sheet with edges)
Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
For Mississippi Mud:
Add 10 oz miniature marshmallows for the last three minutes of cooking time. Cool and frost with homemade chocolate frosting. The recipe says you should let rest for 24 hrs--good luck.
Chocolate Frosting
4 tbsp melted butter
4 heaping Tbsp cocoa powder (sifted)
4 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
dash of salt
enough cream, canned milk, or milk to make spreading consistency. Beat with electric mixer and spread.
![]()
You can make the brownies by themselves, with frosting, or as Mississippi mud (all three).
Directions:
Beat 1lb (4 cubes) butter (not softened)
Slowly add:
4 cups sugar
Add:
7 large eggs
4 tsp vanilla
7/8 cup cocoa
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 cups nuts, chopped (optional)
Mix and pour into a well-greased jellyroll pan (cookie sheet with edges)
Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
For Mississippi Mud:
Add 10 oz miniature marshmallows for the last three minutes of cooking time. Cool and frost with homemade chocolate frosting. The recipe says you should let rest for 24 hrs--good luck.
Chocolate Frosting
4 tbsp melted butter
4 heaping Tbsp cocoa powder (sifted)
4 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
dash of salt
enough cream, canned milk, or milk to make spreading consistency. Beat with electric mixer and spread.

I just made these too, if you want a short cut, just make a pan of boxed brownies, then get a jar of marshmallow fluff and warm in microwave and pour over, then buy a can of frosting, melt in microwave and pour on top. I'll have to try yours sometime
ReplyDelete7-8 cups of cocoa?? I'll have to go buy a bunch! lol
ReplyDeleteSorry Becky, that should say 7/8 cup cocoa. Sara- your way sounds way easy. But if you have the time, these are for sure worth the time. One of the best brownies I've had.
ReplyDeleteOkay :) I am definitely going to be trying these!
ReplyDelete