Hot Corn Dip

 

  This recipe is from Our Best Bites.  My friend Crissy recommended that I try this recipe.  The things I would do differently is add the whole 1 cup of mayo because I used a 32 oz bag of frozen corn (4 cups) so it was a little drier than I would have liked.  I would add the Cayenne pepper instead of the ground red pepper to make it a little more spicy.  To be honest with you, Aron loved it and a few co-workers liked it too but I thought it was a little bland, I'm hoping with the changes above that I'll like it a little more next time. Please tell me if you make this and tell me what you think!
Ingredients: 

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 3 1/2 cups corn kernels (from 4 ears fresh white or yellow corn, or frozen fresh corn)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup finely chopped yellow onions (about 1/4 onion)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell peppers (1/2 bell pepper)
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions (green and white parts) (about 2)
  • 1 jalapeno seeded, minced
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/2 to 1 cup mayonnaise (I used 1/2 cup and should have used a little more)
  • 4 ounces Monterrey jack or cheddar, shredded
  • 4 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (I used ground red pepper because I didn't have cayenne)
  • Cojita Cheese, optional for topping
  • Tortilla chips, for dipping
Directions: 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the kernels turn deep golden brown, about 5 minutes. Note that if you’re using frozen corn it probably won’t get golden brown.  Just cook for about 5 minutes as the recipe states.  Transfer to a bowl.  Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the skillet. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until the onions are wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the green onions, jalapeno, and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened. Transfer to the bowl with the corn.  Add 1/2 C mayo, cayenne pepper, half of the Monterrey jack and half of the cheddar and mix well. If you need more mayo to hold the mixture together then add it, but I found that 1/2 C was plenty, and I even added a little extra cheese.  Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish, or something equivalent and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Add cojita cheese if desired also. Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve hot with tortilla chips.





Comments

Popular Posts