Handmade Ice Cream in a Bag
(photo from the web at onlyicecream.com)
We went on a family camping trip to Camp Zarahemla and our family was in charge of doing the dessert so I decided to do handmade ice cream in a bag. I think the ice cream worked great and it tasted very yummy. I had made homemade cookies to go with it. This would be great for a fun family activity or home evening. I don't have photos for it but I have the recipe. I know Kama, Mo's sister wanted the recipe so here it is!
Ingredients: (Below is for each individual bag)
1 cup half and half
1/2 tsp. vanilla (I snuck in a little more)
2 tbsp. granulated white sugar
4 cups ice
4 tbsp. salt (preferably rock or ice cream salt)
Quart size zipper bags
Gallon size zipper freezer bags
Plastic or winter gloves, towels, or cooking mittens (to help hands from getting too cold)
Directions:
1. Pour half and half, sugar, vanilla into quart sized freezer bags (divided appropriately). Press out the air and seal the bag.
2. Place the smaller bag inside the gallon-sized freezer bag. Add 4 cups of ice and a 1/2 cup of salt. Press the air out of the larger bag and seal it.
3. Either wear winter gloves or wrap a dish towel around plastic bags. Roll the bag back and forth between your hands or if working with someone else, toss back and forth or take turns. The ice will melt slightly. The ice cream will gradually harden. This will take 10-20 minutes, depending on how hard you want the ice cream.
4. Remove the smaller bag and quickly rinse away the salt residue with very cold water. We put bag into a large plastic cup and folded edges over and ate out of the bag, which made it easy to eat. Serve with toppings or eat alone.
*If you want to have more ice cream per bag or share one bag with 2 people, you can double the recipe and I'm sure it will come out just as good and you would use less bags.

awesome recipe - thanks! we're in charge of a couple activities for our upcoming family reunion and this will be perfect. activity and dessert! :)
ReplyDeleteIt was fun to do and tasty too for a warm summer day. Have fun at your reunions!
ReplyDelete