Sweet and Sour Pork
This was one of my favorite recipes growing up. It's the same sauce as the Sweet and Sour Meatballs recipe that I have done before. The recipe was originally from an England's family cookbook and my mom made it all the time. Yum! So of course, every time I make it, I think of my mom and my grandma Helen and grandpa Leo. Gives my comfort. This recipe is versatile, you can add more or less of ingredients if you want. Different family members have made changes to their liking over the years, as I have done also. I double the sauce as I did below but feel free to half it if you like less sauce. It's still our family favorite. This time I didn't have green pepper, so I just left it out.
1-2 lbs of pork chops, cubed
2 tbsp flour
1-2 tbsp oil
6 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup ketchup
1 cup of water (or juice from pineapples)
1/4 cup vinegar (I usually use apple cider vinegar)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can pineapples (chopped, tidbits, or crushed)
Green peppers, chopped
Corn starch (optional for thickening)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat pork with flour evenly. Put oil in stock pot and brown pork (you don't have to cook it all the way through, because it will cook more later). Add sugar, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, water or juice, cornstarch if desired, vinegar, onions, pineapples, and green peppers in pot and stir well. Bring to a boil. Cover with lid and place in oven and bake in pot for 45 minutes-1 hr or until pork is tender. Serve over rice or quinoa.

Comments
Post a Comment