Ivar's Clam Chowder (Pretty Close)

I love clam chowder, especially Ivar's Clam Chowder.  I found the recipe HERE and other sites too but I have yet to actually find the recipe directly from Seattle Times as claimed.  But hey, I'll go with it because it's pretty tasty and pretty darn close to Ivar's.  I used fat free half and half and it still tasted great and less fat!  This recipe was very creamy and just the perfect thickness.  Sorry for the real crummy photos.  I forgot to take a photo in the bowls. 
 
 
INGREDIENTS
2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely diced celery
2 cups finely diced potatoes
3/4 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup flour
4 cups half-and-half, warmed
1 teaspoon salt, to taste
1 dash pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar

DIRECTIONS

1.  In a medium saucepan, drain the juice from the clams; set the clams aside.
2.  Combine clam juice with the onions, celery and potatoes.
3.  Add enough water to barely cover and simmer, covered, over medium heat until the potatoes are  tender, about 20 minutes.
  • 4.  In a large saucepan, melt the butter.
  • 5.  Add flour and stir in to the butter.
  • 6.  Slowly whisk in the warm half-and-half.
  • 7.  Cook and whisk until smooth and thick, about 5 minutes.
  • 8.  If you want a thinner chowder, add 1/2 to 3/4 cup water or clam broth.
  • 9.  Add the vegetables with their cooking liquid, clams, salt, pepper and sugar to the pan.
  • 10.  Stir well and adjust the seasonings if necessary.

NOTES

You may serve in a sour dough bread bowl






Comments

Popular Posts