Pizza Bread

 
I grew up with my grandma Helen and grandpa Leo making this recipe.  When we'd come and visit she would teach us how to bake it.  I even have a cute photo of my cousin Tiffany and I holding our fresh made bread with grandma and also one with grandpa in his leopard robe, so cute. I made the normal batch and divided it into six parts and rounded them out onto three greased cookie sheets.  So it made six smaller (but good size) round loaves.
 



4 cups hot water

1 1/2 cups dry non-fat milk

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup sugar

4 teaspoons salt


1 teaspoon paprika

1 cup parmesan cheese

1-2 teaspoon garlic powder

2 teaspoons oregano leaves

2 teaspoons basil leaves

1/2-1 cup stuffed green or black olives, sliced (I like to do half green olives and half black olives)

8-10 cups bread flour (this might not be exact) doug should be soft and slightly tacky but not wet enough to stick excessively to hands.

In large mixing bowl or bread maker, combine hot water, dry milk, margarine, sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm; then add yeast. Add 1/2 of the flour and remaining ingredients. Stir to mix thoroughly. Add remaining flour. Cover and let raise until doubled. Knead well and divide into 6 parts. Shape into small loaves and place in bread pan or greased cookie sheet. (If using a cookie sheet, form into a round shape). Let raise until double. Bake 350° for 30 mins. Immediately after taking from oven, butter top of loave and sprinkle with coarse-ground salt. Turn out of pans to cool.  

**This is excellent toasted or can even be used for hamburger buns.**




 


 
 

Comments

  1. I just made this a few weeks ago. Always makes me miss Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, it make me miss Gma too. But it's awesome she left us with some yummy recipes to remember her by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was always funny when she would ask if someone wanted "apieceofbread" instead of "a pizza bread"...warm out of the oven with butter. The best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts