Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Well it's that time of year of a good garden harvest.  Lots of zucchini.  I like my mom's zucchini bread recipe, panko crusted zucchini, stir fry's, etc. But I'm always looking for new recipe.  I came across this recipe on Pinterest HERE.  But I did not use her frosting recipe.  I used my aunt Mary's instead and changed her cake recipe a bit.  It turned out great.  It's a dense moist cake. Sorry no photos, I'll post next time I make it.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups grated zucchini
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a 9 X 13inch baking pan.  In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon.  Add the eggs and oil, mix well.  Fold in zucchini until they are evenly distributed.  Pour into the prepared pan.  Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in a preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.  Cool cake completely before frosting. 

Frosting: (May start with half this recipe to see if it's enough to cover cake, I winged it on the frosting but this is one I have used before)
4 tbsp melted butter
4 heaping Tbsp cocoa powder (sifted)
4 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
Enough cream, canned milk, or milk to make spreading consistency.  Beat with electric mixer until smooth. 

  

Comments

Popular Posts