Chicken Pozole
I found a recipe from the ad for Fiesta Foods for Pozole. It sounded great but I didn't have pork butt on hand or chicken with bone or fat so I opted for chicken breast. I really like the way it turned out. This is a real healthy version of the dish. Maybe not as flavorful as the traditional Pozole but still really good. I basically used most of the ingredients they listed but changed the amounts. Feel free to add more of something to taste if needed.
Ingredients:
1 lb chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic (may add more if desired)
2 tbsp chicken bouillon (may add more if desired)
2-3 dried California chili pods (they listed Guajillo dry chili pepper-I think it's the same thing)
1 large can of white hominy, drained
1 tbsp oregano
Shredded Cabbage (not pictured)
Tortilla chips
Directions:
Boil chicken, onion, garlic and bouillon in large pot with about 4 cups of water. Cook until chicken is tender ( I cooked it for over an hour on low). While that is cooking, boil dried chilies until softened (they'll turn a brighter red). Once softened, remove stems and put in blender with a small amount of liquid from boiling chili water. Add oregano and hominy to soup. Add about half of the chili sauce and stir. Taste soup to make sure it's not too spicy, add more if you want more "spicy." Boil a little longer until flavors combine. Serve warm with shredded cabbage on top. May also serve with broken tortilla chips.

Comments
Post a Comment