Cinnamon Bubble Buns






I found this recipe when looking through a Family Fun magazine.  They looked and sounded pretty good so I thought I would test them out.  They are more time consuming than the normal "monkey bread" I have made before.  They tasted pretty good too and easy to eat because you are pulling apart each "bubble" off the bun.  This part I liked but I would maybe cut down on the "bubbles" to make it less work.  I thought I would pass the recipe along because they were good but I will track down the "caramel bubbles" recipe and post that too.  To be honest, I probably wouldn't make them again because of the time consuming factor but if you are bored one day and want to take your time making something good, here is a recipe for you!:)

Ingredients: 


Dough:
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3 tbsp butter, melted
2/3 cup sour cream
3 tbsp sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour, plus more for kneading
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

Coating:
3 tbsp butter, melted
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Glaze:
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

Place water in bowl and sprinkle yeast over. Let stand until bubbly, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in butter, sour cream, sugar, egg and vanilla. Beat in 2 cups of flour, the salt and baking soda until mixed. Add remaining flour and continue to mix until a smooth, soft dough forms.

Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface, reserving mixing bowl. Knead dough until smooth, about 3 minutes, adding in more flour if dough is sticky. Do not exceed 2 additional tablespoons of flour.

Place dough back in mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

In a small bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar for coating. Place melted butter in a small, shallow dish.

Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan, and then flour the cups and tap out excess flour.

Punch down dough to deflate. Form into a long cylinder and then divide into 12 equal portions. Divide each portion into 6 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.

For each bun, coat six balls with melted butter and then roll them in cinnamon sugar. Arrange five balls in the bottom of a prepared muffin cup. Using your fingertip, make a small well in the center and press in the sixth ball. 

Repeat with remaining dough and muffin cups. Cover buns loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until puffy and have doubled in size, about 40 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350F. Bake buns until golden, 20-22 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 to 10 minutes and then tilt pan and gentle tap on a work surface to release buns. If needed, use a knife to help release them. 

Place buns on a pan or container (I used a tubberware container that had a lid on it for easy storage), mix glaze ingredients and stir until smooth. Drizzle each bun with glaze.




Comments

Popular Posts