Roy’s Chocolate Soufflé

I ran across this recipe Here.  This is originally from Roy's restaurant.  She said that she got the recipe straight from the restaurant.  It's their Chocolate Souffle (Molten Lava Cake).  It's very yummy.  We served it with vanilla ice cream.  I made it in individual ramekins and we just ate it out of them but I will write the recipe as the original.  I would recommend less baking if you want more "lava" in the middle.  Once it gets firm on the top, I would take it out next time, I kept it in a few extra minutes but 21 minutes would have been perfect with more of the "lava" in the middle.  I doubled the recipe and it made 10 good servings of cake.  Now I have to go visit Roy's next time we go to Hawaii.


Source: Roy Yamaguchi of Roy's, from The Girl Who Ate Everything

4 squares of parchment paper (3x3 inches)
4 strips of parchment paper (2x12 inches)
4 metal soufflé ring molds (3 inches in diameter x 2 inches tall) or parchment lined ramekins (see Note)

Soufflé Batter:8 oz. good quality semi-sweet dark chocolate (i.e. Guittard, Vahlrona, Callebeaut, or Ghirardelli-I actually used mostly dark chocolate chips from Nestle and semi-sweet and it tasted great)
12 Tablespoons butter
1 cup granulated sugar
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
4 whole eggs plus 4 egg yolks

To make the soufflé batter, combine sugar and cornstarch in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and yolks. Bring butter to a simmer in a saucepan. Add chocolate and mix until smooth. Continue to mix until chocolate begins to simmer along the edges. Transfer the chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Add eggs and mix at low speed until mixture is smooth and sugar dissolved. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat the oven to 400°. Line each soufflé ring with a strip of parchment paper and spray with pan release such as Pam. Place parchment paper squares on a baking sheet and set molds on top. Note: If you don't have a souffle ring you can use ramekins. Line the bottom of each ramekin with a circle of parchment paper and line the sides with parchment paper as shown above. Spray with cooking spray. You can also just eat them straight out of the ramekins (we did this with no liners) or use cupcake liners with reduced cooking time because they will be smaller.

Fill each ring mold or ramekin with soufflé batter ¾ of the way full. Bake on top oven rack for 26-28 minutes. My ramekins were a little smaller so I baked them for 21-23 minutes. You just want to make sure the tops are set but the middle is still gooey. Remove baking sheet from oven. Slide a metal spatula under each mold, and carefully transfer to individual serving plates using a pair of tongs. Gently lift off the mold and remove the parchment paper. If using ramekins, use a knife to and run it around the edge then carefully invert and place on a serving dish. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired. Serve immediately. Left over batter can be refrigerated for up to 10 days.



Comments

Popular Posts