Canned Peach Salsa



I grew up with my mom and dad canning pears, peaches, and tomatoes in the summer.  I have pictures of me canning with my parents, sister, and even our friends came over to help too.  It's probably just me but I feel very domestic when I can food.  I ordered 48 lbs of peaches with Zaycon Foods and picked them up on Monday.  I have ordered chicken breasts, ground beef, and peaches from them and so far I have gotten great results.  I will order from them again for sure.   They have really good prices.  The peaches were I think 67 or 68 cents/lb.  The peaches taste so good and I have eaten them just by themselves but I wanted to can some too.  I came across this recipe with excellent reviews.  I quadrupled the recipe though.  It made 10 quarts and 1 pint.  The recipe below is the original batch/size.  FYI: If you 4X this recipe, it will be 1 bunch of cilantro, and I  added 10-12 jalapenos (not 16).  Use plastic gloves if you have them while cutting jalapenos.  My fingers were burning for hours.  Also, I got my ground cumin at the store in the Mexican foods section for 79 cents, compared to $5-8 dollars it would have been in the spice section in a jar, it saved a lot.   Update: I opened my first jar and the taste is great but it's pretty sweet.  I love the Costco mango/peach salsa and it is sweet also, so I figured this would be too.  Next time I think I would add more tomatoes.  I also would add a little salt (but you can always add it after too if you don't want the added salt).  


Ingredients: 
cups chopped peaches (about 3 pounds)
3 large fresh tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped red onions
medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
large sweet red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
1/2 cup white vinegar
tablespoons liquid honey
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or ground red pepper)

Directions: 

  1. Sterilize 8, 1/2 pint jars, then place upside down in a 325 F oven for about 15 minutes.

    Blanch peaches, cool in cold water, peel, pit and chop to measure 6 cups.
  2. Blanch tomatoes and cool with cold water, peel, remove seeds and cut into chunks.
  3. In a large stainless or enamel cooking pot, combine peaches, tomatoes, onion, Jalapeno peppers, sweet red pepper, cilantro, vinegar, honey, garlic, cumin and cayenne pepper.
  4. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. If the mixture is too sloppy or soupy, boil for a few minutes longer so that some of the liquid evaporates and the mixture thickens.
  5. Adjust seasonings to taste.
  6. Add more cayenne pepper if you desire a spicier taste. Ladle salsa into hot jars to within 1/4 inch of top for head space.
  7. Remove air bubbles by sliding a rubber spatula between the glass and salsa.
  8. Re-adjust the head space to 1/4 inch.
  9. Wipe jar rim to remove any stickiness.
  10. Center lid on top of jar; apply screw band just until finger tight.
  11. Place jars in a hot bath in a canner and process for 10 minutes.
  12. Remove jars and place on a towel, then cover with
     another towel to cool slowly.
  13. Jars are sealed when the lids pop and are curved down, (concave).
  14. Label jars and store in a cool, dark place.
  15. Serve with tortilla chips, fish or chicken. 









Comments

  1. Wow! Good job! I just saw some peach salsa on Our Best Bite's website and thought I would try it once I come across some good peaches. Sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I saw that too, it is similar but doesn't include cilantro or cumin and maybe a few other changes. You'll have to tell me how it turns out and if you really like it, maybe next year I can try that one too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts