Amish White Bread

Update:  These photos are with one cup of whole wheat flour in place of the white flour, I still liked it but hubby said if he had to choose, he would choose all white flour. This is the third time I've made the bread and this time I doubled the recipe and it worked out great.  This bread is soooo good!

I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com.  I'm finding that some Pinterest recipes aren't all that great tasting.  The photos may look great but sometimes they are a flop.  I like Allrecipes because they have ratings that you can trust.  This bread was very easy to make and taste wonderful too.  I liked that it was a little sweet too.  So if you want a change from 100% whole wheat (as I usually make) than this is great.  I will definitely be making this recipe again. 


 Ingredients:
2 cups warm water (110 degrees)
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups bread flour (Add 2 tbsp gluten flour if using all-purpose flour to help it rise better)

Directions:
In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast.  Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.  Mix salt and oil into the yeast.  Mix in flour one cup at a time.   Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.  Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat.  Cover with a cloth or seal a Tupperware bowl.  Allow to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.  Punch dough down.  Knead a few minutes, and divide in half.  Shape into loaves, and place into two well greased 9X5 inch loaf pans.  Allow to rise 30 minutes or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  brush lightly with butter after baking if desired.

Comments

Popular Posts