Furry Yarn Lei
I teach teenage girls at my church who will be graduating this next weekend so I thought I would make them Hawaiian leis with their school colors. 3 of the girls go to a high school with red and yellow and 1 girl has blue and gold (or yellow?). But they didn't have this type of yarn in yellow so I made 3 red and 1 blue lei with yellow beads to hold the ends. I make them with black Kukui nuts but I ran out of them. In Hawaii, I can't believe how many leis people can fit on the graduates, most of the time you can't even see their heads. I know the girls won't be able to wear them at the ceremony, but maybe after! They are great girls and I wish them luck at BYU Idaho and BYU Provo!
Directions:
Start out by tying a knot on one end of the ribbon to keep the bead in place.
Put the other end through a straw (I use the same one over and over).
Tape the ribbon unto the straw as below.
A picture if what yarn looks like.
Tie both ends of the two yarns together at the end of the straw. You want it tight enough but not tight enough where the yarn won't move down the ribbon.
Wrap the two strings of yarn 5 times around the straw (below). On the fifth turn, wrap the yarn around your second and third finger once.
Wrap one more time around straw only and flip the yarn that was covering your fingers over the top of the straw. This will make a little knot and pull tight. Slide section down straw. Repeat these steps until you run out of yarn.
After pushing yarn together and getting desired thickness of lei, knot last section of yarn with ribbon securing it in place. Put on second bead and secure with a knot. Tie a bow with the ends of lei and your done! Aloha from Kyrie!
Supplies:
long strip of ribbon (I forgot to measure but probably about 3 feet long)
2 packs of furry yarn
2 large beads
tape
star (preferably a thick sturdy straw)
Start out by tying a knot on one end of the ribbon to keep the bead in place.
Put the other end through a straw (I use the same one over and over).
Tape the ribbon unto the straw as below.
A picture if what yarn looks like.
Tie both ends of the two yarns together at the end of the straw. You want it tight enough but not tight enough where the yarn won't move down the ribbon.
Wrap the two strings of yarn 5 times around the straw (below). On the fifth turn, wrap the yarn around your second and third finger once.
Wrap one more time around straw only and flip the yarn that was covering your fingers over the top of the straw. This will make a little knot and pull tight. Slide section down straw. Repeat these steps until you run out of yarn.
After pushing yarn together and getting desired thickness of lei, knot last section of yarn with ribbon securing it in place. Put on second bead and secure with a knot. Tie a bow with the ends of lei and your done! Aloha from Kyrie!

Those are fun! You are so neat!!
ReplyDelete