Baby Car Seat Cover


 
When I first saw a "car seat cover" I thought it was such a great idea.  As soon as I found a good tutorial online (found it here), I decided to make one of my own and ever since then I have been making them for friends and family for their new additions.  I made mine reversible which was not too hard and it's nice to be able to change the colors around sometimes.  They are so nice when it's cold outside or when you don't want others to bother the baby.  This was one I made recently for my friend Crystalyn for her baby boy.  This fabric is from what I purchased while in Hawaii and my mother-in-law also brought me some more fabric here so I can make more.  I love the Hawaiian prints and they don't have it around these parts.  But I've made some with some nice fabrics I have gotten locally also.  I make mine with ribbon instead of buttons but you can do either one.  Also, you can round the edges by using a cup or bowl and make a rounded corner.  I just do a 90 degree angle for mine.  


Items needed: 
1 yard of top fabric
1 yard of contrasting fabric for other side
1-2 yards of matching ribbon--if you want to tie your bows you'll need 2 yards, if just a knot you need 1 yard.  You can also make the ribbons shorter and do buttons if you prefer.
lighter or match
thread
scissors

iron  


Please see the above link for further detail on the instructions.  I use the instructions the way they are but add another ribbon to the reverse side to make it reversible.  Good luck if you decide to make it.  



Comments

  1. I'm so glad you found a good tutorial, I've been wanting to make one of these for a long time, but haven't been able to find an easy one to make. Although my little one is almost to the stage of not needed an infant seat anymore!? But I do know plenty of babies to be born - what a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so great, and don't cost $40 that you would pay for those fuzzy car seat covers in the store...plus they're SO much cuter! My mom helped me make one out of a cute quilt that my friend made me, and we actually used scraps of leftover fabric for straps and then used velcro to hold the straps on. Awesome gift idea...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison-this was a pretty basic one I found and I've used it ever since. People love them for their baby gift. Aubri-great idea with the velcro and left over fabric, that doesn't sound as hard as buttons. I have tons of ribbon when I made bows for Kyrie (now she just pulls them out) so I have been using that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts