Spam Musubi




If you are not a fan of Spam, you must move on to the next recipe.  Well even if you don't like spam, you gotta try this.  This is a Hawaiian classic.  The first time I remember having them was my first time I met my mother-in-law Nanette.  Aron and I were heading to a Kahuku high school football game and she packed us spam musubi for the game.  I thought it was interesting but I like nori so I was excited to try it.  Aron said that spam musubi is a normal thing in Hawaii to pack for snacks or meals on the go.  I also noticed that instead of the good 'ol hotdogs you have at football games you have on the mainland, you have spam musubi in Hawaii.  So I ate my first Spam musubi at a Kahuku football game and as my husband would say it was "Onolicious."  We've been making them ever since and my kids love them too.




Spam Musubi
Ingredients:
1 can spam
1 pkg of nori sheets (dry seaweed)
Furikake (optional but good)
Cooked white sticky rice
Spam Musubi Sushi Rice Press (optional but very helpful): you can find these at most grocery stores in Hawaii or order at Amazon for around $10.  
Wax paper (optional -if taking to go)


Directions: 
Slice Spam into slices to desired thickness.  Cook on griddle or grill pan until slightly crispy, lay on paper towel to soak up grease.  Set aside.  Cut nori strips length wise into 2 pieces (if not cut already).  Have a bowl of water on the side to dip press into to remove built up rice.  Set musubi press in middle of nori.  Add a layer of cooked rice, press down rice.  Add 1 slice of Spam and sprinkle furikake if available.  Add a small amount of rice and press down again.  While pressing rice down, life up musubi square, which will leave the block of rice, spam, rice.  Wrap 2 sides of nori over stack and turn over for flap side down to help seal.  Continue until you have made enough Spam musubi as desired.  Enjoy!



Above are the Nori strips that are cut to perfect size.



This is furikake.  You can get it at most Asian stores.  It has sesame seeds, salt, and seaweed that you can "sprinkle" over rice.  We can't eat our rice in this house without it.

Yes Spam is greasy but it's good about once a month and I really do like it since marrying my hubby.  And with that, I was shocked that the guy from Bizarre foods said he didn't like it.  He barely says he doesn't like something.  But anyway, it may be an acquired taste so I respect that.



















Comments

Popular Posts