PF Chang's Mongolian Beef






So I found this recipe on food.com here if you want to look at the original.  Please note that I have never had PF Chang's Mongolian Beef so I cannot tell you if this is the same in comparison to the original.  But this beef was good. It had a very good taste.  It's probably more on the fatty side because you fry the meat but I bet you could get away with cooking with less oil or use olive oil.  You also dump the oil you cooked the meat in before combining with sauce, if that makes you feel better.  I couldn't find flank steak at the store so I used one that looked like flank steak that I think was top sirloin of some sort.  Sorry, I threw away the package.  



Ingredients:
2 teaspoons vegetable oil

1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
vegetable oil, for frying ( about 1 cup)
1 lb flank steaks
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 large green onions

Directions:
  1. Make the sauce by heating 2 tsp of vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over med/low heat.  Don't get the oil too hot.  Add ginger and garlic to the pan and quickly add the soy sauce and water before the garlic scorches.  Dissolve the brown sugar in the sauce, then raise the heat to about medium and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens.  Remove it from the heat.  Slice the flank steak against the grain into 1/4" thick bite-size slices.  Tilt the blade of your knife at about a forty five degree angle to the top of the steak so that you get wider cuts.  Dip the steak pieces into the cornstarch to apply a very thin dusting to both sides of each piece of beef.   Let the beef sit for about 10 minutes so that the cornstarch sticks.  As the beef sits, heat up one cup of oil in a wok (you may also use a skillet for this step as long as the beef will be mostly covered with oil).  Heat the oil over medium heat until it's nice and hot, but not smoking.  Add the beef to the oil and sauté for just two minutes, or until the beef just begins to darken on the edges.  You don't need a thorough cooking here since the beef is going to go back on the heat later.  Stir the meat around a little so that it cooks evenly.  After a couple minutes, use a large slotted spoon to take the meat out and onto paper towels, then pour the oil out of the wok or skillet.  Put the pan back over the heat, dump the meat back into it and simmer for one minute.  Add the sauce, cook for one minute while stirring, then add all the green onions.  Cook for one more minute, then remove the beef and onions with tongs or a slotted spoon to a serving plate.  Leave the excess sauce behind in the pan.




Comments

Popular Posts