Kalua Pig
From Wikipedia.com: Kālua is a traditional Hawaiian cooking method that utilizes an imu, or underground oven. The word kālua literally means "to cook in an underground oven" and also describes the flavor of food cooked in this manner - e.g. kālua pig or kālua turkey which are commonly served at luau feasts.
I usually make kalua pig in the oven but today I wanted to try the crockpot. I got some tips from my sister-in-law, Moana to help me with the crockpot way. This time I only had about a 2 pound pork roast which was very lean so I cut the measurements down. I probably should have added water because the roast didn't have fat on it to roast in so it was a little dry. It was still very tasty though.
Ingredients:
Pork Roast--2lbs
Liquid smoke--1/2 tbsp
Hawaiian sea salt--1/2 tbsp
Directions:
Poke holes in roast, pour over liquid smoke, rub in sea salt. Add a little water, like 1/2 cup if you have a lean roast, if not, you don't need to add water. Set on low for about 5 hours or until pork is very tender. Remove from crockpot and shred. Add a little water with additional salt if it needs more. Serve with rice, lomi lomi salmon, Nana's Potato Salad, and a green salad if desired.
The below directions are for a larger roast, that I usually make, that I got from Mikey Sjerven who also makes some awesome Kalua pig. She always makes huge batches of it with fried rice. Yummy!
Mikey's Kalua Pig
Ingredients:
1-3.5 oz bottle of Wrights Hickory Liquid Smoke
Hawaiian sea salt-2 tbsp
Pork shoulder or pork butt--7lbs-bone in adds more flavor but you can do without also
Foil-3 long pieces
Directions:
Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Mix liquid smoke and salt in small bowl, stir, then set aside.Wrap meat in long piece of foil and curl up edges so smoke mixture does not fall out. Pour smoke mixture over pork roast. wrap tightly with foil. Lay another piece of foil down on table, flip pork over and wrap again. Flip again and add one more wrapping of foil (you are changing directions each time to keep flavor in). Set in 9 X 13 pan and cook for 1 hour at 500 degrees, then lower to 350 degrees and cook for 7 more hours. It's a long time so make sure you prepare ahead for the length of time it takes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Remove bone and fat if present. If it seems too dry you can add some water with a little sea salt in it and add to meat. You can also make this ahead of time and keep in fridge or freezer to eat later.

So how is Hawaiian sea salt different from Ha oles iodized salt? While I'm game to go get some, RaeAnne has to work to support me in a manner I have become accustomed to and won't let me go alone.
ReplyDeleteYeah I don't think RaeAnne would go with that excuse to go:) Hawaiian sea salt is just more coarse. I think Mo uses rock salt, you just have to make sure it breaks down. You can get it at Asian stores too. I'm not sure what Ha oles is but if it's coarse it'll work. The bigger roast would be great if you have a lot of people in town.
ReplyDelete