Nana's Potato Salad
I grew up on the good ol potato salad with pickles and mustard. Yum! Then I married Aron who hates pickles and mustard (I know how could he!). So we were visiting Aron's wonderful grandma Kajiyama (Nana) on the Big Island and she always makes us tons of delicious food. I think once I left there with an added 5 lbs but it was all too delicious to resist. She made some awesome potato salad that didn't have pickles or mustard in it and was so good. I still love the "England" (Aunt Janet's potato salad) but this is just something different. I love them equally the same. Anyway, Nana's is more the Hawaiian style potato salad with a twist. We make this whenever we have a bunch of people over for a BBQ or local type lunch with kalua pig or teriyaki chicken. Below are the ingredients I don't have exact measurements, we just kind of put it together.
Ingredients:
Potatoes, chopped into bite size pieces and boiled to desired softness
Boiled eggs, chopped (the more the better, in a big batch I might put 7 or 8)
Mayo (Best Foods or Hellman's is the best-you may also use light)
Shredded carrots
Salt as desired
Pepper as desired
Imitation Crab meat, squeezed in paper towel to release some of liquid, chopped
Kamaboko, shredded (this is a fish cake used in salads in Japan and Hawaii-its not so fishy but adds a salty flavor)-OPTIONAL
Directions:
After potatoes are cooked and cooled, add shredded carrots, diced boiled eggs, and imitation crab. Add mayo to desired moistness. Salt and pepper as desired. Let sit in fridge to cool.

Comments
Post a Comment