Yoko's Bread


My mother-in-law made a cookbook for the missionaries when they were mission presidents in Arcadia, California.  I totally trust her recipes and I have used this recipe before and it makes some awesome bread.  I believe the recipe is originally from her friend, Yoko, hence the name of the recipe.  This makes a huge batch but you can always half it.  Today I went for it all and it made 2 large bread loaves and I also made rolls, about 2 cookie sheets full.  I made mine with 10 cups of wheat bread flour, 5 cups of white flour but you can use any kind combination of wheat and white flour.  Serve with butter and jam or honey butter.

Ingredients:
5 cups warm water
2 pkg (2 tbsp) yeast
2 eggs
1 c + 2 tbsp sugar
1 cup oil
1 tbsp salt
Wheat or white bread flour

Directions:
Mix above ingredients in the order given (except flour).  Next mix the ingredients below in the order given.

3 cups sifted wheat flour
12 cups white bread flour

Mix and rest for 12 minutes.  Knead 5 minutes.  Put back in bowl.  Put a towel or lid over and let rise until double.  Punch down.  Cut into 6 small or 4 big loaves (I did 2 large loaves and the rest rolls).  Roll with rolling pin and roll into loaf.  Grease top. Put towel over and let rise.  Bake 350 degrees for 1/2 hour (the rolls took about 17-20 minutes).  If soft crust is desired brush with butter after taking out of oven.

If you would more of a wheat bread just increase the wheat and decrease the white flour or if you want white bread use only white flour.  The bread comes out best when using bread flour which is found in the supermarket in 5# packages. Enjoy!


Comments

  1. Those look really, really good! I may have to try them this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are super good! It makes a huge batch so you may want to half it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to ask Jeff if he ever got that cookbook from your in-laws. I would love to see what other recipes she gave them. Did you grind your own wheat flour or just buy it at the store?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts